Re: bending stainless steel

Dear Alex :

I really don't know if I'm right but I'll give you just a thought. When you
heat metal, you are making it's Young's modulus to go down, so it is easier
to bend. Since you are taking the material to a point where the deformation
does not recover, you are in the inelastic range, just a different curve
because of the increase of the temperature, so I believe that some strain
hardening would occur but it should not be a problem. Now, if the steel is
high in carbone, it might become brittle, and you don't want that. If you
are using a lot of this bended bolts, and there's a lot of risk for people
involved due to bolt failure I would bend one and test in in a laboratory
for the expected kind of load, then use a  very conservative factor of
safety. I really don't think this would be very expensive.

Another idea would be making sure the bolt (specially the bended portion)
is working at a very, very low stress level, let's say 0.2 Fy (very
conservative as you would think), but don't forget to consider all kinds of
loads specially dynamic and combine them all.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Regards,

At 04:17 PM 29/03/1999 +0800, you wrote:
>How much strength is lost when you bend
>stainless steel by heating?
>
>I need to bend stainless steel bolts (150 deg) to hook
>to church bells. The bolts will hold the counter weights.
>
>Any suggestions for a better way?
>
>Thanks
>
>Alex

Walter Sheen Paoli