Re: ICBO California Legislative Alert

     A few counterpoints to Roger Turk's discussion:

     We will be changing from the 1994 UBC to the 1997 UBC, not the 2000
     IBC.  The change from the 1997 UBC to the 2000 IBC will not be as
     drastic because much of the 1997 UBC was approved with the 2000 IBC
     proposals in mind.

     There are a lot of seismic changes, most of which come from the 1994
     and 1997 NEHRP Provisions, most of which were explained in the 1996
     SEAOC Blue Book Appendix C.  The background to all of the seismic
     changes has been available to interested parties.  The 1994 and 1997
     NEHRP Provisions have complete commentaries that are free from FEMA.
     The SEAOC Blue Book is free to SEAOC members.

     The IBC process has been an open process.  Any interested party could
     have obtained a free copy of each draft from ICBO (and probably the
     other model code organizations also).  The drafts had clear procedures
     for submitting proposals.  Those of us who submitted proposals were
     sent a copy of all proposals and were invited to participate in the
     approval meetings.  The process for IBC changes appears to be every
     bit as slow and deliberate as the UBC code process.

     If we don't like the 1997 UBC or 2000 IBC, maybe it's because we chose
     not to participate in the process.

     Rick Drake, SE
     Fluor Daniel, Irvine