RE: Stainless Steel Bolts

See below.

Harold Sprague

-----Original Message-----
From: AnandNene(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:AnandNene(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 1999 4:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Stainless Steel Bolts

Can someone give me information on SS bolts for structural applications.

I am proposing 1/2" dia. SS bolts for corrosion protection for exterior
application.  The bolts are used to attach precast concrete panels.  The
loads
are small and 1/2" dia. and equivalent of A307 bolts are more than adequate
for combined effects of shear and tension.  I have glanced through ASTM F
593-95.  However, I am still confused about the right ASTM specification for
the bolts, nuts and how to specify it on the drawings.  Is A316 correct?
**** I prefer the A193 specification because the chemical properties and the
mechanical properties are listed, and it is what I am accustomed to.  A316
is the "type" of steel and is an AISI designation.  You can get a martensite
or austenite alloy in the 316 chemistry with markedly different mechanical
properties.

I also hear about 18-8 SS bolts.  Are these structural bolts?
**** This is the catch all of stainless steel bolts.  It is not a good
stainless steel, and is an AISI spec.  I would not use it.

How do I specify
these?
**** Get the A193 specification.  If it is atmospheric corrosion or exposure
to sea water, use the equivalent nickel as the 318. If the exposure is
something more on the exotic side, you need to do your homework and research
the corrosion rate and the acceptability of a given rate of corrosion.  Or
you can blow the budget and just specify Carpenter 20 steel (used for
sulfuric acid piping and is very expensive).

What are the mechanical properties?
**** It is in the A193 specification.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.