Structural Design of Glass

Andy Sien wrote:

. > Does anyone know where I can find information regarding structural design
. > of glass?

This is a good question.  I don't have the answer, but a good number of years
ago, I had to analyze a plate glass window.  At that time, the charts for
plate glass were probability based (2% failure rate; 2 lights out of 100
failing under the load), not structurally based as they are now.

I called or wrote PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass) and got some information over
the phone.  (The person I talked to said that they wouldn't put the
information in writing.)  Besides mechanical information, I was told that the
*real* controlling factor in plate glass design is "Griffith Cracks," which
are microscopic cracks that occur as the glass is cooled.  Naturally, stress
concentrations build up at the ends of these "Griffith Cracks," which affects
the structural behavior of the glass.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona