Reply: ICBO California Legislative Alert

Jim Fruit writes:

. > For everyones information; the IBC chapter 16 is based on the SEAOC blue
. > book which carries over from our UBC. Don't be too hasty in turning down
. > the IBC.

I have sensed that it was with great reluctance and under great pressure to
have *one* national earthquake code that SEAOC finally agreed to a somewhat
modified NEHRP code.

It must be remembered that the provisions of NEHRP have *never* been tested
under a *real* earthquake, and the UBC provisions (SEAOC provisions) have
been repeatedly tested, deficiencies noted, changes made, and when another
earthquake strikes, additional deficiencies will be noted and more changes
made.  NEHRP has not been subjected to this rigorous evaluation.  The only
codes that had adopted NEHRP have been codes that are in areas where
seismic design is not considered.   No matter how much laboratory testing has
been done or how much computer simulation has been performed, nothing tests
design and construction like a *real* earthquake.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona