RE: Seismic Zone 1 - U. L. Steel Beam Substitution

Good way to get attention!!!

We routinely use UL D902 with beams lighter than 28 plf based on an
increased thickness of fireproofing. As I understand, the front of the UL
book indicates that lighter sizes can be used if the fireproofing thickness
is increased.  A formula is provided in UL.  Hopefully, your architect is
taking care of this.

Tom  Bouffard