Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
HUD & Mobile Home Foundation Inspections[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: HUD & Mobile Home Foundation Inspections
- From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
- Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:45:13 -0500
Fountain, Once you see the HUD requirements (CFR 3280 and 3282) for mobile homes (Manufactured Homes), you, as a structural engineer, will be shocked that such construction is permitted. Unless a mobile home is constructed as a "Modular Home," virtually *any* liberty may be taken by the designer under the guise of "integrated unit." I have seen calculations, which, BTW, are hard to obtain, prepared by a Structural Engineer that showed the stresses (WSD) in the steel frame being, "... 35,900 psi < 36,000 psi (O.K.)," when the maximum allowable stress that I calculated based on unbraced length of the compression flange was in the 6,000 psi range. A "Modular Home" has to comply with the codes that we are familiar with, however, even if the unit is a "Modular Home," it can be constructed under the "Manufactured Home" provisions by just so stating that. A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural) Tucson, Arizona . > I've been asked to do a foundation inspection on an existing mobile home . > that is being refinanced thru HUD. . > I understand the requirements became effective on August 24, 1998. I . > haven't seen the HUD requirements, but will tomorrow morning. . > Have any of you been called on to do such an inspection. . > I'll appreciate any advice, identification of "landmines", etc. . > Thanx, . > Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
- Prev by Subject: HUD & Mobile Home Foundation Inspections
- Next by Subject: Re: HUD & Mobile Home Foundation Inspections
- Previous by thread: HUD & Mobile Home Foundation Inspections
- Next by thread: Re: HUD & Mobile Home Foundation Inspections