Fw: Response Spectrum Analysis

Francis:

I don't have any experience with STAAD, but I am pretty familiar with ETABS.

I use "g" (386.4 for k-in-s) for the scaling factor when doing an RSA, since
the response spectra is normalized.

The thing is, we are required by code (UBC94) to have the dynamic base shear
at LEAST equal to Vb static for irregular structures, and 90% for regular
structures.

Since an RSA is used in an ELASTIC analysis, I usually adjust the dyamic
base shear in the design files (CONKER or WALLER), or in the load
combinations defined at the end of the ETABS input file (which using
ETABSOUT you can modify on the fly).  That way, I don't have to rerun the
analysis.

In other words, the scale factor in the RSA portion of the ETABS input file
doesn't have to mean a whole lot --> the important thing is that the dynamic
base shear be factored, up or down, such that it matches the static Vb (or
portion thereof) before you do any design or look at any results.

Does this answer your question?

T. Eric Gillham PE
GK2 Inc.
PO Box 3207  Agana, Guam  96932
Email - gk2(--nospam--at)kuentos.guam.net
Ph:  (671) 477-9224
Fax: (671) 477-3456