Fw: ETABS

Usually I use dummy columns to model wall supports like these, I guess
because I started using ETABS before the springs were available.

Anyway, if I am trying to account for foundation flexibility, I will size
the column, and use an appropriate material, such that the dummy column
mimics the soil support.

If foundation flexibility is not so important, I just use a very stiff
column.

An important thing to remember is the pin conditions top and bottom of the
dummy column.  Furthermore, you will probably need to restrain the floor
level, at least for the lateral analysis in the direction which is pushing
the structure into the hill, using the translational and perhaps rotational
spring restraints defined in the "Story" data block.

Just as a note, this question is specifically addressed on page 49 of the
version 6 and up user manual for ETABS.  They even have a picture.

Hope this helps

T. Eric Gillham PE
GK2 Inc.
PO Box 3207  Agana, Guam  96932
Email - gk2(--nospam--at)kuentos.guam.net
Ph:  (671) 477-9224
Fax: (671) 477-3456