Re: Seismic / building code

chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu (Charley Hamilton) writes:

<<
 	even as an EIT, I'd appreciate knowing who my profession is being
     criticized by.  Yank, do you have an offline name & profession?

Dear Mr. Hamilton:

When you re-read my message CAREFULLY you will notice that there is not one
word of "criticism" of the structural engineering profession expressed.

On the contrary. The sentence:

               "That's why, with due respect to their knowledge and
experience ......"

speaks very highly about the profession.

If there is any criticism with regard to the main subject of the message (the
building code), it comes not from me but from other structural engineers
making these observations -- as displayed in my message.

My observation that "the seismic code they (the engineers) have to follow is
the most BLUNDERED engineering code in the country" is simply my conclusion
as to what I think about the CODE  -- based also on observations by other
engineers. Since I've spent about 35 years designing structures in
California, I think I have some understanding and knowledge what they were
talking about.

The subject of my identity (or anyone else's identity) was discussed on this
list quite widely a short time ago. If you wish to know what was the general
consensus on the subject matter, please re-read appropriate messages from the
list' s archive. I will have no further comments on this topic.

Sincerely,

Yank