RE: Bridge Design Fees

12%, maybe 10% at bare minimum.

Bridges are typically intensely design- and detail-intensive.  Also, our
experience in Texas indicates that you spend a good deal of time trying to
"please" the state DOT (who, unlike commercial clients, are typically
engineers themselves who can't conceive of anyone doing the job better than
they). Since these DOT engineers are public employees, they have little
concept of "streamlining" the design process, and expect that you will put
in maximal effort, as they are wont to do, in executing your plans.

Also, there is a lot of follow-up work typically expected, although you can
try to augment this by a construction phase services contract.