Re: Column K factor.

I've been waiting for an expert to answer, but none have yet.

Your problem with the senior VA engineer reminds me of that famous trial,
Pope vs. Galileo. The issue then was how the solar system worked. Did the
sun go around the earth, or the other way around? The Pope had more clout
than Galileo, so the solar system worked his way.

The way I read this AISC Table (in the 1963 edition my grandfather used)
col.(f) is for "rotation fixed and translation free" (repeat,"free") at the
top, as you have said. I guess your man reads it that way too.

Now, is your building's lateral force resisting system so flimsy and "free"
that "translation" prevention at the roof and column tops depends on the
stiffness of the columns as downward cantilevers? If not, the condition
looks more like that in table col.(b), but upside down. K then would be 0.8,
not 2.0 This would be a relative rigidity matter to resolve, if doubt remains.

This is a pretty old and simple AISC table. I guess there's no way to make
the code simple enough for some people. Pity. Makes the simplification
effort a harder sell.

Charles O. Greenlaw  SE   Sacramento CA
another simple guy