Re: ICBO California Legislative Alert

In a message dated 4/2/99 1:20:43 PM, Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com (Dennis Wish) writes:
>So, why the heck are we making codes more restrictive instead of lobbying
>to improve construction quality?

Because it's a whole h*ll of a lot easier to pass a law (code) requiring
hundreds of engineers to do something different, with a built-in system of
review (plan check) than it is to change the actions of a mass of relatively
untrained and uneducated "wood butchers" with minimal supervision (cursory
inspections) to get every nail and hold-down and strap right.  In other
words, we're changing what is possible to change, not what is (relatively)
impossible to change.

This is not to malign carpenters or contractors, but to point out that there
is a system in place to review and supervise the work of engineers whereas
there is practically none for the actual construction.

It ain't right, but it's true.

(The above addresses wood construction only.)

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA