Re: Horizontal plywood diaphragms

No problem in using 23/32" wood structural panels (plywood or OSB) for diaphragms
with roof framing spaced 48" oc; check vertical load capacity (LL and DL) to make
sure that it meets requirements.  Diaphragm tables in UBC apply to this
construction, blocked or unblocked as required.  If blocked construction is
necessary, it's often done with T&G panels (APA Rated Sheathing 48/24 - special
order; or APA Rated Sturd-I-Floor 24oc) with sheet metal strip stapled to
sheathing over T&G edges. Also can be done with square edge panels (two panel
edge clips between each support) with sheet metal strip for blocked diaphragms,
or with blocking.  For unblocked diaphragms, use T&G panels or square edge panels
with blocking.  Highest diaphragm shear values are obtained with 10d common
nails, but 8d common nails (min.) could be used with tabulated shear values for
that fastener size.  Note if framing is spaced 48" o.c., nailing on intermediate
supports must be 6" oc (for wind uplift), not 12" oc as typically used.
John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA