From: John Rose [mailto:jrose36(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 1999 7:20 PM
To: seaint@seaint
Subject: Re: shear ply over gypsum

Yes, it's in the wood structural panel shear wall table. Includes 5/8" gwb
also
(Type X or C gwb used for fire-rated walls).  A better structural solution
would
be to use wood structural panel sheathing directly attached to framing, with
gwb
over; it's permitted for fire-rated walls by footnote to fire-rated walls in
Chapt. 7 table.  Siding of any type could be installed over the gwb (e.g., a
three-layer wall on the exterior side). It's UL Design U344 for one-hr. fire
resistance from either side.  City of LA amendments for 97UBC will delete
provisions for using wood structural panels over gwb until cyclic tests
indicate
acceptable performance.

John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA