electronic files

As professional engineers we are often requested by our clients/owners
to furnish electronic files of our projects.  I can give countless
reasons why i feel this is a bad idea, but will spare you the details.
However I would like to explore any new ideas on how we can protect
ourselves from these drawings being able to be
changed/adjusted/manipulated, either by accident or on purpose.

We have not had success with providing either (.plt files or .dwf
files)  it seems that they either can't open them or do not have the
same plotter etc.

what shall we do?