Re: electronic files

Somthing to Consider:

I have noticed that many of the members of this list are concerned about
sending Electronic files of their drawings to other firms and I understand
this concern.

Now that I am working for a Developer / Contractor I find myself in the
position of asking other engineering offices for their electronic drawings
for use in estimating, several of the new estimatting packages read AutoCAD
drawings, so that we may provide the client with the best price
possible for a project.

Understand I can recreate most drawings within a few days with the new
raster to CAD packages that are available but their is always the chance
that something will be missed, or the dimentions may be off, or .....
Additionally: its a whole nother liability thing. And its still better than
taking the information off by hand with a scale, plinimiter, Note pad etc..

Having workable drawings gives both the client and us a better brake when we are
bidding on a new project.

I do not have an answer but if some one else does I would like to hear of it.

Robert W. Stevens, Jr., P.E.
Consulting Engineer

Sorry no Spell Checker.