Re: electronic files

I don't worry about this issue as much as most engineers.  I plot out a hard
copy of the plans, stamp and sign them and that is the record set, not the
cad files themselves.  If an owner or another party involved wants cad files
you can physically send them on floppies, zip cartridges, etc.  Upon delivery
you have them sign a waiver stating any changes that don't match the record
drawings are not your problem.  (I'm not sure I would use that wording
though!)

Is this really any different then in the "old days" when we sent the original
hand drafted drawings done in pencil to the architect?  Those tracings could
easily have been altered as well, but I don't recall any problems.  the
problem seems new because cad is a new medium, but the same possibilities
were present in the precad days.  I'll admit, it was to a lesser extent
though.

Believe it or not, I'd appreciate your comments to this contrarian position.

David Mack, P.E.