RE: Holes for galvanized bolts

This issue came up a few years back and I did an informal telephone survey
of fabricatorsto find some answers. The fabricators I talked to
acknowledged that galvanizing can create a problem with getting bolts
through the holes if standard holes are used (1/16-in. clearance). However,
they also indicated these problems were more the exception than the rule
and usually resulted when there was an unusual build-up of galvanizing
inside the hole. A few fabricators indicated that their galvanizers use
compressed air to "blow out" the holes after galvanizing, which eliminates
this. Others said they didn't do this, but still rarely had any problems.

I also looked into specification requirements (AISC and RCSC). There are no
specific provisions that address hole sizes for galvanizing as being any
different than those for other applications. The specs simply state the
maximum hole sizes that can be used for standard, oversized, short-slotted
and long-slotted holes. A 1/32-in. tolerance is implicit in these nominal
values allows a slightly larger hole that might result from the punching or
drilling equipment or a very slight amount of reaming. But I don't see
anything that permits standard holes to be made with a 1/8-in. clearance
when galvanized.

Charlie