From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com [mailto:Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 9:35 AM
To: SEAINT(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Reroofing

     Our homeowners association is planning on reroofing our entire complex
     of 165 buildings (4 to 5 units per building).  They have narrowed the
     options down to 5 roof coverings all of which are class A concrete or
     clay tile.  The most likely choice will be "ClayMax" by US Tile on
     plywood sheeting.  The existing 20+ year old roofs are cedar shingles
     on what looks like 1/2 inch by 6 inch planks spaced about 12 inches
     o/c (you can see 4 to 6 inch of the black paper between the planks).

     The new roof system is obviously heavier than the existing system and
     therefore will generate more seismic load to the shear walls.  I was
     shocked to learn that the city of Irvine has a "city policy" that if
     the clay tiles (EXCLLUDING the addition of plywood) are less than 7.5
     psf then NO structural calculations are required.  The ClayMax tiles
     weight 5.8 psf.

     The city official I talked to said that since the plywood would add
     "extra seismic rigidity" they discount the added weight of the
     plywood.  I politely explained that with the 3 to 4 psf added to the
     roofs from the new tiles and plywood the shear walls will be taking
     more seismic load regardless of the roof rigidity.  His comment was
     that since the buildings are 20+ years old they would never "calc out"
     with the added weight and newer codes.  Duh!!

     For those with conventional construction and reroofing experience (I
     am a concrete/steel guy) is it normal not to require structural
     calculations when reroofing with a heavier system.  Without structural
     calculations I would think as a minimum this could void our earthquake
     insurance.

     Every time we have a good shaker I get cracks around the door openings
     and it seems this will only make it worse.  Any other comments on
     reroofing concerns/problems??

     I should also note that we are located on a slight hill and each unit
     is half slab on grade and half elevated.  The elevated half is about 6
     feet above grade.

     Thomas Hunt