Prestressed Precast Hollow Core Slabs

I am a structural engineer from Malta, Europe.

Locally it is common practice to use Prestressed Precast Hollow Core
Concrete Slabs which are 1.2 metres wide, to span over spaces 6 to 8 metres
in length.

Once they have been grouted together these slabs are then loaded with
substantial point and line loads from internal masonry partition walls
which however carry the loading from the floors above.

This type of construction is used for buildings up to 3 or 4 storeys in
height and they are employed in order to do away with downstand beams which
would then limit headroom in the commercial premises at ground floor.

If one tries to calculate theses slabs in order to take these loads, hardly
a situation occurs where they would be suitable from calculation alone,
however the current practice is to achieve assurance and approval from the
respective manufacturer.

I would therefore greatly appreciate any indication or information about
similar use of these slabs and their behaviour and failures if any over a
number of years, and also the techniques used in practice to calculate
them. I personally use the work carried out by Stanton, whose work was
supposed to be incorpoarted in Chapter 16 of ACI code 318.

The reason why many of these "strong floors" stand is somewhat of a mystery
to myself and I would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks in advance,
Fred.