From: Bill Sherman [mailto:SHERMANWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 1999 10:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bolt Holes, Another Application

Another question on standard vs oversized bolt holes - what about holes for
anchor bolts in base plates where shear is to be transferred from the base
plate to the anchor bolt?  While contractors prefer to use oversized holes
at
base plates due to construction tolerances, how can you count on shear
transfer if holes are oversized?  (i.e., with reversible wind or seismic
loads.)

I normally specify anchor bolts to be placed using a template and use
standard
hole sizes (1/16" over bolt size) where shear is to be transferred, but I am

curious as to what others do.