Re: AISC Seismic Provisions for SCBFs

John,

Keep in my the seismic forces you've calculated have already been reduced by Rw
to account for an inelastic response.  For the building to remain truly elastic
at code level seimic events, you would have to use an Rw = 1.0.  Now, should
wind forces still be larger than seismic forces calc'd with Rw=1.0, then I think
you could argue the building is truly designed to remain elastic during a code
level seismic event and elastic detailing could apply (though I still don't
recommend it for high seismic zones).

Dan.
--
Daniel J. Huntington
Structural Engineer

KJWW Engineering Consultants, P.C.
623 26th Avenue
Rock Island, IL 61201
PH: (309) 788-0673
Fax: (309) 786-5967

mailto:huntingtondj(--nospam--at)kjww.com
http://www.kjww.com