RE: Holes for galvanized bolts

I have read some of your remarks on bolted connections.
The question is why go for bolted ones when you can go for welding. Is it
the cost?
>From my point of view and experience, the bolted connections would provide a
partial restraint on the member. A 100% fixity could not really be provided
(only in conjunction with welding) . Whereas welded connections could
provide continuity and fixity. We use bolts only for erection purposes and
rely on welds for the full connection.

Does bolted ones produce economic structures? Is it really safe.?
We have specified welds for the buildings that we have designed.
There are more modes of failures for bolted connections than welded ones.
And based on the tests that I have read and observed, welded structures
failed on the members and not on the connections therefore hinging is more
likely to occur on the member rather than in the supports or at column
faces.

My statements do not necessarily apply to all structures. Just a comment /
opinion.
Any counter opinion is most welcome. Let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks guys !