Re: UBC 79

In a message dated 4/15/99 4:02:24 PM EST, polhemus(--nospam--at)insync.net writes:

<< I am looking for some information regarding the applicable UBC code for a
 building designed in 1980. I think that would be UBC 79.

 If someone has a copy of it, could you please signal me?

 Thanks and regards.

If the building was designed in 1980, it was most likely designed using the
1976 UBC.  I would guess the 1979 UBC most likely was not adopted by many
building departments before 1981.   It seems to take about two years from the
time a code is first published before it is adopted by a local building
jurisdiction with any ammendments.  Remember it is 1999 and the 1997 UBC has
not been adopted by all building departments as of yet.

Depending upon the original design engineers, they may have incorporated some
of the design criteria of the 1980 UBC in their design.

Michael Cochran