Re: Prestressed Precast Hollow Core Slabs

Anthony Ellul wrote regarding masonry walls on precast panels:

>If one tries to calculate theses slabs in order to take these loads, hardly
a situation occurs where they would be suitable from calculation alone,
however the current practice is to achieve assurance and approval from the
respective manufacturer. <

I would have great difficulty allowing such loads if they cannot be
justified
by design - the manufacturer should give you specific assumptions they use
for
load distribution.  I have used arching action (or deep beam effects) of the
masonry to justify such walls on thin elevated slabs - but you still need to
confirm strength or shoring during construction before the masonry wall has
developed its strength.