RE: AISC Seismic Provisions for SCBFs

John,

You must keep in mind that the performance in a seismic event is different
than the performance in wind resistance. For a wind event, the structural
response is linear (elastic).  For seismic resistance, if you use the
standard response coefficients, you are assuming that the structural
response will be nonlinear.  The nonlinear area is where the seismic energy
is dissipated.  The only way to assure nonlinear performance is to employ
the special seismic provisions for the connections, braces, etc.

Intermediate seismic zones and high wind & high seismic zones are tricky in
this area in that a member may have more force in it due to wind, but you
may have to design the connections due to seismic.  In essence you design
the structure twice.

You could use a low R or Rw value (like unreinforced masonry) and get to an
elastic seismic performance, but then you probably would see the pseudo
seismic member loads exceed the wind loads (even in intermediate and low
seismic zones).

As a former Midwest (Kansas City) designer, I empathize with your problem.
Seismic design is not taught in the area universities, and the concepts can
be a bit foreign.

You could wait to design in Kansas City until the IBC is adopted.  Kansas
City will have its seismicty reduced in the IBC.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company