Welding Code AWS D1.1

Karim Hosseinzadeh wrote:

. > I realize that there is certain stress concentration, but so what. My
. > belief always is that " MORE IS NOT LESS "
. > Another words why not just leave the parts as they are without lessening
. > them unless it is visually undesirable.
. > I would appreciate any comment.

Going back to Theory of Elasticity, the theoretical stress at a re-entrant
corner in a tension member is *infinity*, regardless of the average stress
level in the tension member.   Therefore, you definitely do get, "MORE, NOT
LESS," and it turns out to be much, much more.  Even with a round hole in a
tension member, the stress at the edge of the hole is 2 to 3 times the
average stress in the member.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona