Re: Welding Code AWS D1.1

Roger,
Thanks for your comment. I do agree with you with regards to stress
concentration around a round hole. I consider this case a lessening of
material due to hole cut outs, whereas in my case the stress is first
induced in the 8'' flange and then transferred to the 14'" flange. Now
where is the logic in this that the 8" x1/2 flange can safely withstand the
load but the 14 5/8 x 15/16 flange may become overstressed and develop
cracks. Unless it is shown by tests that the smooth transition is needed to
prevent  the overstressing of the smaller flange.
Sincerely,
Karim Hosseinzadeh

----------
> From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Welding Code AWS D1.1
> Date: Friday, April 16, 1999 2:10 PM
>
> Karim Hosseinzadeh wrote:
>
> . > I realize that there is certain stress concentration, but so what. My
> . > belief always is that " MORE IS NOT LESS "
> . > Another words why not just leave the parts as they are without
lessening
> . > them unless it is visually undesirable.
> . > I would appreciate any comment.
>
> Going back to Theory of Elasticity, the theoretical stress at a
re-entrant
> corner in a tension member is *infinity*, regardless of the average
stress
> level in the tension member.   Therefore, you definitely do get, "MORE,
NOT