Re: Welding Code AWS D1.1

Let us look at a simply supported WF beam. Let us say that the bm. is an
existing floor beam and under gravity load it is functioning well without
any signs of overstressing, and as we know the bot. flg. of this beam would
be in tension. Now for one reason or another we add to the bot. flg. by
welding identical pieces of steel to each side of it, starting from the
beam center line all the way to the left support, creating width
differential at the mid span . Would this beam become overstressed under
the same loading condition, develop cracks and eventually fail?  If it does
then "LESS IS MORE". Remember in this case we ADDED to the bottom flange.
Karim Hosseinzadeh, SE