Re: Welding Code AWS D1.1

Let's look at another specific example.

Consider a welded lug on a lifting beam, and assume vertical sides on each
end of the lug.

If the plate is fillet welded all-round, what kind of stress concentration
do we have.  With the addition of the fillet weld, the corner is no longer
re-entrant.  But...  there is a 90 degree intersection all the way 'round
the plate.

This same condition exists on welded gusset plates, base plates
welded to column bases, welded (full penetration) moment connections to
column flanges, etc.  In each case, there is a 90 degree re-entrant corner
all the way 'round.

How much stress concentration should be considered?

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

----------
> From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Welding Code AWS D1.1
> Date: Friday, April 16, 1999 4:10 PM
>
> Karim Hosseinzadeh wrote:
>
> . > I realize that there is certain stress concentration, but so what. My
> . > belief always is that " MORE IS NOT LESS "
> . > Another words why not just leave the parts as they are without
lessening
> . > them unless it is visually undesirable.
> . > I would appreciate any comment.
>
> Going back to Theory of Elasticity, the theoretical stress at a
re-entrant
> corner in a tension member is *infinity*, regardless of the average
stress
> level in the tension member.   Therefore, you definitely do get, "MORE,
NOT