Re: Welding Code AWS D1.1

>What is not true in my statement? We are all essentially agreeing on the
>issue of stress concentration around bolt holes.
Perhaps I misunderstood. It seemed you were saying that the stress
concentration resulted only from a decrease in the amount of material.
That statement is not true. In the case of a half inch hole through a 14
inch wide flange, the average stress would go up in the ratio of 14/13.5
= 1.04. In fact the stress local to the hole goes up by a factor of about
3.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw