Re: Teak and Mahogany

From: Parkerres(--nospam--at)aol.com <Parkerres(--nospam--at)aol.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Sunday, April 18, 1999 10:06 AM
Subject: Teak and Mahogany

>To all you exotic wood experts:
>
>I think we've been through this before, but I couldn't find it in the
>archives. Does anyone have any design values for teak or mahogany?  It is
>be used as planking in an exterior wood deck, spanning about 4'-0" or so
>between supports.
>
>As always, your help is much appreciated.
>
>Bruce Resnick, SE
>Parker Resnick Str. Eng.

Response:

>From Wood Handbook, 1987, United States Department of Agriculture, Forest
Service, Handbook 72

Table 4 provides mechanical properties for many softwoods and hardwoods.

Mahogany, Africa   at 12% Moisture content  Modulus of Rupture, 10,700 psi
and Modulus of Elasticity 1,400,000 psi

Mahogany, Honduras   at 12% Moisture content  Modulus of Rupture, 11,500 psi
and Modulus of Elasticity 1,500,000 psi

Teak   at 12% Moisture content  Modulus of Rupture, 14,600 psi and Modulus
of Elasticity 1,550,000 psi

MOR & MOE is based on static bending of small, clear, straight grained
specimens. Values should be adjusted for Knots, Slope of grain,
Wet-conditions of use for exterior deck. Also use duration of load and
safety factor. See the NDS for appropriate factors.

Bruce Pooley, PE
Timber Design
3448 South Newland Court
Lakewood, CO 80227