Slender Masonry Walls

I recently completed a design for a masonry building with walls 27'-0" tall using 8 inch CMU.  I followed the Load Factor Design method of the 1997 UBC and satisfied both the strength and serviceability requirements.  A senior co-worker has questioned my design, primarily because the h/t ratio is over 40.  He says that the "slender wall" design approach is "new and untried" and "pushing the envelope".

I have not heard of any problems associated with properly designed and detailed slender masonry walls.  I don't consider the design method particularly "new" as the publication that I reference was printed in 1986.  Am I "pushing the envelope" designing a 27 foot tall wall with 8 inch block?

--Kipp A. Martin
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.