Re: Construction joint

Mr. M. A. Mufti wrote:

"Discussion invited. Construction joint between two pours of a typical
cast-in-situ concrete floor slab. What should be the maximum time interval
between
the two pours, after which it becomes a case of pouring new concrete
against old
concrete?"

If I have correctly understood the question, once you have a cold joint,
time elapsed between the first pour and the next is immaterial, as long as
the second pour follows the initial setting of concrete. For instance, it
is immaterial if the second pour is made after one day or one year. Of
course, there may be difference between the values of shrinkage, in the two
cases, but the joint would still be treated as a construction joint. I hope
this helps.

Rizwan Mirza
Lahore, Pakistan