Re: CJ's in Composite Slabs

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org,Internet writes:

Does anyone have commentary on why/why not include contraction/construction
joints in elevated composite floor slabs at girder lines?  The girders are
non-composite in this case, but the beams are.

Pros/Cons & lessons learned would be appreciated. . .

I'm not sure why you would want to put joints in a slab on deck.  The purpose
of joints is to allow movement.  With the ribs of deck there can be no
movement.  All movement occurs in the form of micro cracking, uniformly so to
speak, in the slab.  WWF is added to help with the stress.

Now, if you need to provide construction joints do to coordination of
different pours, that is another issue.  I would locate the joint in an area
of low shear, and if moment transfer is needed then add rebar.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org