Re: CMU DESIGN LIST

Francisco,

Do you have a senior engineer you can discuss the project requirements with?

There is no hard and fast design list, things vary based on the project
geometry, but here are a couple of things for starters, no matter how simple
the box:

Wall design for out of plane forces (wind and seismic)

Wall anchorage and development of anchorage forces into the roof diaphragm.

Diaphragm deflections beyond the masonry limits. (spanning the diaphragm too
far between lines of resistance)

Verify the design of the shear wall foundations.

You said that this was an addition to an existing structure.  Did you tie
the new structure to the existing to prevent differential settlement?  Have
you provided adequate shear transfer from the new roof to the existing shear
wall?  Have you checked the existing wall for the additional load from the
new structure?

This is by no means all inclusive.  I hope this helps, you really should
find someone who can sit down and review the project with you.

Paul Feather PE
San Diego, Ca