Public Software - Evolutionary Software

Apr 21, 1999 11:44 PM
--------------------------------
>From the Office
of Dennis S. Wish, PE
Editor - SEAINT Online
-----------
I am interested in starting a Library of software created by individuals who
would like to donate their work for use by the professional community.
Specifically, I am looking for spreadsheets and templates rather than
executable programs.
Years ago I suggested a concept called evolutionary Software in which the
user improves upon the software and offers the improvement back to the
professional community. We each build upon the experience of one another to
produce useful tools. I believe the time has come for many of us on this list
to take on this task.

Executable programs can be considered if the code is made available to the
public rather than protected.

If you are producing any software for Linux operating system, I would be
interested in speaking to you. If you intention is to sell your software for
use on a Linux operating system - I would like to hear from you. I am
interested in knowing where developers of engineering software are headed
with Linux being considered a viable competing operating system.

I am interested in the following types of submittals:

Spreadsheets (with or without Visual Basic enhancements).

Mathcad Templates

Cad detail components (not full details but components like steel sections,
wood sections, manufactured joists, wood hardware, nails etc.)

Visio templates specific to structural engineering (for example: shapes for
beam diagragms, parametric shapes, etc.)

Any Office 97 data that is used to integrate structural related software such
as a Word document with an embedded spreadsheet used to create a title sheet
and standard for an analysis package.

These are only some suggestions. Many of you have been very creative and some
of these topics would be great to discuss on the list to help others develop
better office tools.

Not only will your contribution help others who do not have the talent that
you have, but it will help many of us who can learn from what you have done.

Please send all contributions directly to me at:

SEAINTONLN(--nospam--at)AOL.COM

WARNING********    DO NOT SEND YOUR FILES TO THIS LIST. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE
HOW TO SEND IT TO ME, PLEASE ASK FOR HELP BEFORE HITTING THE REPLY BUTTON
WITH AN ATTACHMENT.
SENDING SOFTWARE TO THIS LIST WILL CREATE A BOTTLENECK THAT WILL AFFECT
EVERYONE ON THE LIST.

AGAIN, PLEASE DO NOT SEND FILES TO THIS LIST SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**************DO NOT SEND YOU FILES IN A "REPLY" TO THIS POST AS IT WILL GO
TO THE LIST AND NOT DIRECTLY TO ME**************

I would also be happy to speak to any of you who are interested in helping me
maintain and screen files to be posted so that users will have an easier time
of finding and downloading the files.

Sincerely,

Dennis S. Wish, PE
Editor - SEAINT Online
publication of the Structural Engineers Association
of Southern California (SEAOSC)
SEAOSC Office - seaosc(--nospam--at)aol.com