Re: OSB vs Plywood

I suggest contacting APA(American Plywood Assoc.) their web address is:
www.apawood.org.  Or call the local technical rep in your area.

Most plywood/OSB or wood structural panel roofs are nailed with nail guns and
nailing plywood or OSB is not a problem except when the gun drives the nail
head below the surface of the plywood.  Nail heads should be driven flush
with the plywood surface.

I believe, the moisture problem occured initially when OSB was first
introduced.  The problem was the panels would swell and expand causing the
sheets to buckle.  This problem has been solved.  The glue formulation was
changed to reduce or mitigate this problem.  APA can better answer this
question.

Plywood can also buckle & delaminate when exposed to weather.  Plywood/OSB
can buckle when the 1/8-inch gap between sheets is not maintained.  Expansion
due to thermal conditions can cause the panels to buckle.  Carpenters like to
butt the joints tight and this can cause problems.

Regards,
Tom Jakaby, SE
Jakaby Engineering
San Jose, CA