Re: (Fwd) Re: OSB vs Plywood

> How many other professions are compensating for the
>perceived field practices? How many layers of redundancy does this add
>to the cost and the strength of the design?

Over here on the dark side we do it all the time. The trick is knowing
when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. And don't give away engineering
for free. If you know how people are going to do the work it makes good
sense to design it that way, so long as it's safe (to cover your ass) and
economical (to cover your client's). It's silly handing off a design to a
fabricator when you know it won't be done properly. When I can do things
to make a shop happy, it sure saves me a lot of grief, but at the same
time I try to have my arguments ready for the day when you have to send
it back and say do it over.

In that vein, I wonder how many of the infamous welded moment connection
cracking problems were really problems with a deskbound designer not
knowing how welders were actually doing the work.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw