RE: Steel Deck Diaphragms -Reply

Also keep in mind that the minimum edge distance for screw fasteners
needs to be checked. I think it is 3/4" (please verify) which means that the
lap needs to be able to accomodate that minimum edge distance.

>>> Lorne Lapham <LLapham(--nospam--at)HASimons.com> 04/23/99 08:58am >>>
Barry, I have had this same problem many times. Companies I been with
have
researched the question and had some testing done. The results are not
perfect due to small test sample numbers but for comparison this is a
good
guide.

Side lap fastening values for 20ga steel deck:
one inch long weld		1400lb
screw (any reasonable size)	 430lb
button clinch (no hole)		 120lb
clinch ( 30% hole)		  60lb
clinch ( 50% hole)		  25lb

The 'punched' fastener is very in inferior to a proper "button' clinch with
no hole.
The screw fastener originally specified is much superior to a button
clinch.
The labour to provide clinches at say 8" centres compared with screws
at 2'
makes the screws more economical, especially if you require clinches to
be
doubled up when the clinch punches through. Screws are also much
superior to
clinches in cyclic shear, therefore I use screws in all but the lowest
seismic zones and on any roof over a 5% slope. The clinch tool seems to
be
very hard to use properly on a slope. I hope this will be of help.

Lorne Lapham, P.Eng
Senior Structural Engineer
BC, Canada