Re: Slender Masonry Walls

In a message dated 4/22/99 6:49:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com
writes:<< (remember that lap splices will be occurring in some cells for both
vertical and horizontal steel).  >>

Michael,

I don't feel comfortable splicing vertical bars in tall masonry walls (h/t
exceeding 30) and specify no splices in our projects.  Even with pencil
vibrator I never am certain if there is proper grout consolidation where the
bars are spliced.  Splices create that much more congestion particularly if
8" CMU is used.  I operated a vibrator when placing 8" thick concrete wall
for my house and was frustrated to find later that I still had some rock
pockets ... and I thought I was doing a good job - not too much and not too
little.  I've gotten some complaints from contractors about this but I
usually insist.  Open end units must be used of course.  I once called Jim
Amrhein to see if he allows vertical bars splices and he said yes.  But still
my prejudice is hard to kill.

Brad Smith