RE: Let's Talk STAAD-PRO

I've used STAAD since Release 7! Therefor, if you apply these time-honored
saws to me, you'll have to say:

"Fool me 23 times....what?"

The thing that irks me is that, like Charlie Brown lining up for yet another
place-kick attempt with Lucy Van Pelt holding, I go into each new version of
STAAD with renewed hope that it's purveyors have come around, and that it
will work as advertised.

There are many nice things that I could say about STAAD-PRO, please don't
misunderstand.

But there are SO MANY programs out there that use a complex graphical
interface, many of which (AutoCad, for example) have risen from DOS
obscurity and matured on the more modern, heavy-duty platforms, that I have
such a hard time reconciling the fact that after about 30 minutes in a
STAAD-PRO modeling session, the interface is "corrupted" (e.g. Load List
pulldown menu disappears; can't rotate the view around to look at the whole
structure since part of it stays forever off-screen, etc.)

Then, when I save the design file--assuming it hasn't crashed and lost the
latest changes--exit the program and restart it, everything works again--for
a while.

Last night it chrashed suddenly, I restarted it, and it immediately crashed
again. A second restart, then I couldn't figure out why the ANALYSIS MODE
buttons were all "grayed out." After fooling with it for at least twenty
frustrating, non-productive minutes, on a whim I pulled up NT's Task Manager
window, only to discover that the "crashed" sessions were still operating!
Of course, I couldn't restart them, nor access their windows, but they were
in memory!

Luckily, I was able to kill them from Task Manager, then restart the
program. The ANALYSIS MODE was back in operation.

Just to give some meat to the sizzle of my excoriating original post.

Oh, and by the by, on another occasion a couple of years ago, after making
similar comments about STAAD, Research Engineers sent a very nasty "cease
and desist" letter to my employer.

Wouldn't it be better to improve your product, than to slam those with
legitimate gripes?