RE: Steel Deck Diaphragms

Title: RE: Steel Deck Diaphragms
I wouldn't count on finding very many welders who could weld the side laps.  I have seen to many cases where they have blown out a good portion of the joist top flange attempting to weld the deck to a joist. Anyway, it takes less skill to drive the screws and I would expect that to translate into less dollars, especially if it also means you use a cheaper deck.
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Rollo [mailto:rrollo(--nospam--at)TEAM-PSC.com]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 1999 2:54 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Steel Deck Diaphragms

out of curiosity:

we always have uses the puddle welds due to local erectors resistance to it, but:
how many out there are specifying the required usage of powder actuated mechanical deck fastening ? hilti ENKP pins, etc ? in lieu of the good old puddle weld ?

who else beside our structural department always uses 20ga as a minimum deck thickness so you can always weld the sidelaps (logic being that if he's welding the attachments, he might as well weld the laps, rather than go get the drill gun?)