RE: Let's Talk STAAD-PRO

Staad-Pro.  Its a Love-Hate thing.

I really like Staad-pro over previous so-called window's versions.  Going
from the Staad 22.3 version to Staad Pro is like going from Windows 3.1 to
Windows 95.

Since you brought up "Bug-Ridden", does anyone know of any site or newsgroup
that lists all of these bugs for Staad Pro?  The REI site has some FAQ's but
it is very limited.  And some of the other Staad sites only discuss versions
prior to the Pro series.  You would think that REI would post warnings
somewhere online.

I'm using Staad Pro 2.5.  Its really hard to determine if the "pros" of this
program out weigh the "cons".  Here's some things that I found that are
particularly annoying.

1.)  Deflection: The deflection of the frame in the post-processing does not
coincide with what gets printed in the "paper" output.  So, when you run
some trial-and-error frames to limit your deflection, you should go by the
maximum deflection listed in the output, and not the maximum deflection
listed on the screen in the deflection tables.  I think this problem appears
when you run more than one analysis in your input file.  I think it gets
confused on which analysis to display.

2)  Footing Design:  The footing design does not check for shear (punching
shear from the pedestal).  Nor does it design for uplift conditions.  (the
help manual states that it does not design for uplift, but it doesn't say
anything about shear checks)

3)  Business Logo:  In the "fancy" reports setup, you can add a business
logo to your output.  I added my college logo just for grins to try out this
feature.  When I was ready to change it to my business logo, I discovered I
couldn't change it, nor delete it!  I had to call support to find out which
*.dll files I needed to delete to start over.

4)  Plate/Elements:  Doesn't check or design for shear.

5)  Reports:  The "fancy" reports in the post-processing have to be
regenerated after every new analysis run.  It never remembers your setup of
your "favorite" reports or the pictures you took previously.

6)  Graphical display:  Every time you switch back and forth from the GUI to
the text file, the GUI refreshes to a blank frame.  It never remembers what
you were displaying before (such as node numbers, member numbers, etc).

7)  LRFD:  The parameters for LRFD are a lot more limited than what's
available for ASD.

8)  Analysis:  Once I had a member with end releases and one end was
attached to a pinned support.  The output still displayed a moment
(negligible) at the end of the member at the support end.  Go figure.  Maybe
this had to do with the precision of the program, however, I would expect
the program to either not display this value or at least give me some
warning.

Does anyone know if these "bugs" have been corrected in the Staad Pro 3.0
version?

I haven't had the opportunity to use other analysis programs (such as RISA,
or ETABS).  I wonder if users if those products run into similar problems?

Depending on the responses to this subject, we should compile the responses
and send them to REI's support to see what they would say.

John Connor, EIT
Kansas City, MO