Re: Retrofit

jbotch(--nospam--at)mail.blissnet.com wrote:

> Chapter A110 in the '97 "Uniform Code For Building Conservation" there
> are two equations for base shear that can be used (which one depending
> on number of ocupants) in the analysis of existing buildings.  The "V"
> (w/o subscripts) isn't listed in the Symbols and Notations at the
> beginning of the chapter.  Section A109.2 says the equations are "based
> on Chapter 16 of the code".
>
> My question is: Can that same 1.4 factor be used with these equations,
> or is being "based on chapter 16 of the code" suggesting that the
> equations are already at service load levels?

The  1997 UCBC did not get "updated" when the 1997 UBC did.  Thus, the
General Procedure is still at service load (ASD) level.  Do not divide by
1.4.  I would also question multiplying by 1.4 and using ultimate material
resistance values as some of the stated allowable values in the tables are
rather arbitrary.

Bob Bossi