Re: To Dennis Wish

Apr 25, 1999 11:22 AM
--------------------------------
>From the Office
of Dennis S. Wish, PE
Editor - SEAINT Online
-----------
Dear Yank, Mario et.al.,

Thank you for your compliments. The first issue, which was published and
distributed to SEA chapters in nine states was intended to explain and,
hopefully, encourage other engineers to join our List and to use the tools
that SEAINT has to offer.

The second issue was published and distributed within the last week. I
understand that SEAOSC members started to receive the issue as I received one
phone call complimenting the topic discussion from our List. The topic was
related to the conflict between stricter codes and the maintaince of
sub-standard (compared to engineered) prescriptive measures.

I expect the second issue to raise more controversy as those who participated
on the list have strong opinions on the subject.

We are a growing voice and although it may not be in my lifetime, I am
confident that each of you are the voice of the growing online majority. I am
convinced that it is our (all of our) responsiblity to voice an opinion on
issue that relate to our profession. I also believe that we have a
responsiblity to get past the barriers that placed us at odds with our
professional partners in the building industry.

We have done this as is evident by the evolution of SEA-International and the
fact that more professional members who represent us in different
professional organizations are activly participating in this List and are
listening to what we have to say. This is where our power comes, yet as I
pointed out in the first issue - we must no abuse this power by obliterating
a professional goal of joining our partners in building (architects,
engineers, builders and building officials).

Our next issue (third quarter of 1999) will look at how programs like the
Building Horizons program in my area, are preparing the young in High School
to follow in the footsteps of each member in the building team. In the
Coachella Valley, high school students are building three homes to be sold as
low income housing. Materials are donated by lumber yards, Simpson
Strong-tie, Hardy Industries (Simplified Structures) and more. The Pathways
programs not only prepares by education, but provides opportunities to the
young for good jobs in the future.

Again, thank you and please let me know what issues are important, what you
would like to see in Online and how we can best accomplish these goals.
Sincerely,

Dennis S. Wish, PE
Editor - SEAINT Online
publication of the Structural Engineers Association
of Southern California (SEAOSC)
SEAOSC Office - seaosc(--nospam--at)aol.com

PS: Submit all comments directly to me at seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com