Re: Steel Deck Diaphragms

Barry,

To follow up on the comment from Dennis Wish, the LGSEA just published a Tech
Note on Integral Fastening (Clinched Connections) of Cold-Formed Steel
Members.  It's not loaded on the web site yet, but let me know if you want me
to fax you a copy.

The design values of these connections vary according to the
manufacturer/equipment used, and are controlled by size of the clinch, etc.
but are typically comparable to a connection made with a screw.  Right now,
the equipment that's available is great for a panelizing environment, but a
little cumbersome for field use.  Manufacuturers are working to improve this.

FYI . . . the ICBO just approved an application for an ER last week.
Publication number ER-5439, "Attexor Spot-Clinched Connection of Cold-Formed
Structural Members."

Larry Williams
LGSEA