Re: Steel Deck Diaphragms

Of the few projects I have seen with powder actuated fasteners connecting
metal deck to bar joists, the main problem I noted was that the fastener can
bend the horizontal leg of the bar joist down rather than embed into it.

This occured when bar joists had thin top chords (1/8" to 3/16").  If the
fastener was not close to the vertical leg, it merely bent the horizontal leg
down.  So as stated in a previous post, be sure and coordinate the stiffness
of the supporting steel.

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL