Slender Masonry Walls, Again

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.  Now another question.  The load factors given in the 97 UBC for strength design of masonry are smaller than those normally used for concrete.  In my opinion, masonry is subject to larger variations in constructed quality than concrete.  I know that the phi factor is used to account for material quality, but the difference of 0.8 for masonry and 0.9 for concrete does not seem like enough, especially with the lower load factors.  Should the load factors for concrete be used? Should a lower phi factor be used?  Both?  I'm leaning toward using the concrete load factors.

--Kipp A. Martin
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.